The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organisation. The Federation has been working with the Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) for more than 30 years in humanitarian fields, mainly disaster response and management, cyclone preparedness, disaster relief and recovery, community based disaster preparedness, risk reduction and mitigation, health etc. The IFRC Bangladesh Delegation is now looking for a suitable Bangladeshi national for the following position:
Position: Knowledge Management Officer (KMO)
Position Type: 12 months (with 3 months probation period and with possible extension)
Department: Disaster Management
Location: Dhaka with frequent field visits to project areas
Reports to: Project Coordinator, IFRC + Project Manager, BDRCS
Completes and coordinate the activities related to Knowledge Management component of the “Building Community Resilience through Climate Change Adaptation (CCA)” project by developing Knowledge Management plans and strategies for BDRCS, and reporting to appropriate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish a Knowledge Management Center (KMC) on climate change (archiving, developing e-newsletter, articles, e-library and periodicals) for Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS).
- Facilitate bi-monthly e-news letter production and circulation within RCRC movement partners and across.
- Profiling best practices in DRR/CCA (case studies, fact sheet, power point presentation, articles etc.) in the movement and external partners activities.
- Facilitate the production of “Bangladesh Country Disaster and CCA report” consistent to the IFRC ‘World Disaster Report’ in collaboration with relevant partners.
- Support in conducting advance courses in DRR and CCA for professionals, RC volunteers, students, etc.
- Support in strengthening/creating partnership with the Government (DMB, CDMP, MoFDM, Climate Change Cell etc.) for contribution to the HFA and national effort.
- Support in leveraging BDRCS auxiliary and member’s role in National DRR platform and Disaster Management Committees specified in the Standing Orders on Disaster for promoting the incorporation of CCA/DRR priorities in local and national planning.
- Support in developing the “BDRCS CCA strategy”
- Support in implementation of BDRCS Strategic Plan 2015, BDRCS DRM Strategy 2010-14 and IFRC strategy 2020.
- Support in Capacity Building of BDRCS Knowledge Management System
- Establish/strengthen partnership with RCRC climate centre, UNISDR, COP, etc on DRR/CCA activities.
- Support in maintaining liason/coordination with IFRC South Asia Regional Delegation and Aisa Pacific Zone about the progress of CCA/DRR actions to benefit other NSs (National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies) ongoing CCA/DRR activities.
- Contribute to other CC/DRR related programme development and implementation.
- Contribute to knowledge management activities/systems to be undertaken in SARD.
Skills & abilities:
- Masters degree is required with relevant experiences for three years.
- Analytical skills and ability to think strategically.
- Able to plan and work independently with minimum or no supervision.
- Able to influence, communicate, co-operate and negotiate with a wide range of people and organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple and complex tasks.
- Fluent in English and Bangla.
- Have adequate user level knowledge on various computer applications such as word, Excel and power point etc.
- Commitment to the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement’s Principals and Values
- Honest and high level of integrity
- Willing to work for vulnerable and people in need
Interested applicants should submit a letter of application, a Curriculum Vitae and a recent photograph, and mention their salary expectations, to the Head of Delegation, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), 684-686, Red Crescent Road, Bara Moghbazar, Dhaka-1217, Bangladesh, latest by 28th May 2013 at 17.00 hours. Please indicate position applied for on envelope.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified. The IFRC is an equal opportunity employer.